The following steps should help you (and us) determine if there is a match between you and one of our terriers in Rescue. All applicants are thoroughly screened and must meet certain qualifications before being referred to adopt a Jack Russell Terrier. Approval is based upon the understanding and acceptance of the nature of the terrier, the owner’s lifestyle, and their ability to house the dog properly.
If you are interested in adopting a Jack Russell Terrier through Russell Rescue, Inc., you MUST fill out an adoption application. No exceptions! A list of available terriers in the US by State is online.
Requirements to Adopt from Russell Rescue
Terriers in Rescue are in great need of proper JR homes and while they may need a little special handling, adopting a terrier in need can be much more rewarding than starting with a new puppy. However, please review the following important points regarding the adoption of a Jack Russell Terrier.
- Review the Bad Dog Talk which represents the worst case scenario of owning a JRT.
- Every applicant must first fill out an adoption form.
- All rescue dogs must have containment (fence, kennel).
- We do not place dogs in homes where there are children under six years of age.
- We have few dogs that are good with cats.
- We rarely place terriers of the same sex together in one home (i.e., fighting).
- Most terriers in Rescue are young adults; puppies are rarely, if ever, available.
- We never suggest that JRTs are suitable for metropolitan living.
- We do not suggest placing terriers where the terrier must remain at home alone for extended periods of time.
- All applicants are thoroughly screened and must meet certain qualifications before being referred for a terrier.
- Compatible terriers may not be immediately available; your patience is appreciated.
- Filling out an application does not guarantee that we will place a terrier with you.
- All terriers in Rescue are spay/neutered.
- A adoption fee to Russell Rescue, Inc. is required to adopt a terrier.
- By submitting this application, you are making a formal request to adopt a dog from Russell Rescue, Inc. Please do not fill out this application if you are not serious about working with Russell Rescue, Inc.
- If a terrier is matched to your application and placed in your home, you must agree to keep the terrier for at least 3 weeks (to allow time for the terrier and you to acclimate with each other).
- We can only place terriers in homes located in the United States.
We endeavor to make wise and permanent placements for each terrier. Remember, the more conditions you make (i.e., color, coat type, age, sex and body type), the longer it will take. Please be open-minded to the different qualities that each terrier has to offer.
You Must Complete an Adoption Application.
Please complete our Russell Rescue, Inc. adoption application. All applicants are thoroughly screened and must meet certain qualifications before being referred for a terrier.
Your Application will be Reviewed by Russell Rescue
The Russell Rescue, Inc. representative(s) assigned to your state will review your application. If your application is approved, you will be contacted as soon as possible by a Russell Rescue, Inc. representative. Please be patient.
Filling out an application does not guarantee a terrier as not all homes are suitable for placement. Russell Rescue, Inc. has the right to refuse any application. We endeavor to make wise and permanent placements for each terrier.